Friday, October 1, 2010

Music Finds


I've been researching Christmas music for specials at our church, and just have to share some with y'all...

'Wexford Carol' choral arrangement by John Rutter
'Mary, Did You Know?' a capella with Rescue
'Veni, Veni, Emmanuel' sung by the Kings Singers (this one is on my playlist)
'Born on a New Day' ditto
'I Wonder as I Wander' ditto... okay, I like these guys. They have skill.

The 'Normandy Carol' is another relatively unknown gem, and thus I cannot find a good vocal arrangement. Here (after much digging) are the lyrics...

When wise men came seeking for Jesus from far,
With rich gifts to greet Him and led by a star,
They found in a stable the Savior of men,
A manger His cradle, so poor was He then.

Though laid in a manger, He came from a throne,
On earth though a stranger, in Heaven He was known.
How lowly, how gracious His coming to earth!
His love my love kindles to joy in His birth.

For piano, there is an early advanced book of arrangements by Phillip Keveren called 'A Celtic Christmas' - I HIGHLY recommend it. My favorites are 'What Child is This', 'Wexford Carol', and 'The Holly and the Ivy'.

The best advanced piano arrangements IMO are by Mark Hayes. In his newest Christmas book, 'Listen to Christmas', my favorites include the 'Listen for His Coming' medley, 'Mary, Did You Know?', and 'Coventry Carol'.

Do any of you have favorites you could share?

What is your favorite carol?

2 comments:

Megan said...

'Mary Did You Know?' and the "We Three Kings"/"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" medley sung by Sarah McLachlan!

By the way, I LOVE your special musics at church.

Gwennie said...

Do you know "On to Bethleham Town" ? If not, I'll definitely have to introduce you. : )

Ahh...Christmas music!