Sunday, July 3, 2011

Another Blessing

I feel so richly blessed... Mattie delivered a big heifer calf today. Name will probably be Little Dorrit ;) Daniel and I drove up, I saw Mattie standing out in the field looking noticeably thinner and occupied with something in the grass. The baby was still all wet, so I think we missed the birth by less than 10 minutes.



This was the first calving where I allowed all six cows to be in the same field, and I loved watching how they gathered around the baby protectively when our neighbors came over to look, and took turns butting the dog away, butting each other away when they got too nosy, and helping the baby to her feet and nudging her toward her mamma when she got confused.




This was also the first calving where I offered the new mamma a big bucket of warm molasses water. She loved it, I think the sugar offers a good pick-me-up to replace all the energy they lost during labor.



Thank you, God, for my cow girls.

3 comments:

Christi said...

YAY!!! :) That's wonderfuul. Congrats!

I know, it's SO funny how the other cows act like baby sitters :D

gretchen said...

have to say, the name fits. :)

petey said...

Beautiful pictures. What part of Oregon is it? We are over in SE corner below the Steens.