Saturday, February 26, 2011

The World Will Come to See You Burn



Quotes from chapters 35-36 of 'You Can Farm' by Joel Salatin.

You almost have to hit people over the head with a two-by-four in order to get their attention. You may feel like I've done that some in this book. Well, I'd rather be a bit offensive and have you get the message than be wishy-washy and have you continue to be the same person you've always been. A passionate message changes people.

To have an animated countenance, a spring to your step and a zest for sharing your nuggets of truth is not a but the prerequisite for effective speaking and writing. If you're on fire, the world will come to see you burn. Some of the most moving presentations I've ever heard have not used good grammar or fluent articulation; they come from the heart. Yes, style is great, but a "fire in the belly" is far more important.

You will not convince everyone. Do not take a negative response personally. No matter what you do, many, many folks will never agree with you. That's fine. It's their privilege. The greatest communicator of all time was crucified - don't ever forget that.

Many people hate to begin taking a message anywhere because they fear being rebuffed. Look, that's just part of life. Your message is not to those who will not hear, but to those who will. Thank the ones who tell you early they're not interested. That just lets you leave them sooner and go on to the next person who may be interested.

Just be content to move people one little step at a time. Many a preacher burned out because he set out to set the world of fire and found that the best he could get was a slow burn. Be glad for the slow burn.


In being zealous, I open up my heart more easily to the pain of rejection. When I share my deep soul-passion with a listener, I make myself vulnerable. This passage is an encouragement that to continue to be true to God and myself I must continue to share these things with you.

1 comment:

Karen said...

It's good to be passionate. It's good to be vulnerable. Yes, it's a risk, but most good things are risks.